My Blog List

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Carrying Out Your Game Plan


To date, I have only had the opportunity to use the digital camera to take pictures of items at school that would be used to teach a lesson on “Whose ~ is this?” Also, I was able to incorporate audio messages of Japanese teachers speaking English in the above mentioned lesson. Believe it or not, the students did not expect the here their principal or their home economics teacher speak English. In fact, they seemed more intrigued with being able to identify the teacher than anything else. At this school, the English department is yet to incorporate the use of the Internet or videos let alone to incorporate instructional software to facilitate learning. So the assumption that many people have that most Japanese classrooms are fully furnished with sophisticated technology, is only a myth. However, some institutions are way advanced in its effort to be technologically advanced. Naturally, educators can continue to be innovative in the classroom as it is not the technology that will make our students successful but our students are responsible for their success with teachers’ assistance.

The resources I will need to support my game plan would include digital camera, video, colleagues at work and at Walden, online resources, and CD player. I would like to learn more about how to incorporate technology into the classroom to facilitate all learners. As I improvise I could take creative idea and modify them to maintain the same level of challenge for students but using the simplified version. Learning is not static so I should be flexible to explore how to facilitate learning by using new educational games that are highly stimulating with varying levels of difficulties.

It is my hope that my colleagues at work can accommodate some of the new learning styles that would require the use of technology to enable students to enjoy the same satisfaction as if they were outside of class. I would like to know more about how to incorporate technology in my lessons with disabled students. I wish I were responsible for my English classes then, I would have had more leverage to spark more discussions among students by using a variety of resources to promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. Hi.

    Have you spoken with your Special Education teachers to see what technology they use with their students? I know that in addition to the technology we use in school, like Word, etc.... there are tons of possibilities for assistive technology. As I speak with my colleagues who work with our disabled students, I am learning that we have way more than I ever realized. They might be a great resource for you.

    In addition to your Special Education teachers, your students might be of help in the idea department.

    Digs

    ReplyDelete