My Blog List

Sunday 10 January 2010

The Joys of Travelling!!

There are so many opportunities that one can obtain from visiting other countries. As an educator, I am always curious to learn about the education system in other countries and compare some of the methods and strategies with those from my country.

My visit to Cuba allowed me to observe aspects of their education system which provides free quality education. The checks and balances that are implemented to ensure the system works such as ensuring students are enrolled in school as long as they are at a certain age. Otherwise, if an individual is no longer in school he or she must be actively engaged in a job.

As a teacher in Japan, the education system is quite different from Cuba's or my home country Jamaica. The Japanese government ensures that each school is adequately equipped with resources of which technology is no exception. Japanese students spend more time in school than other students in other countries which has its advantages as well as disadvantages.

When I examine the education system in Jamaica which has its strengths and weaknesses, I cannot help but think that something is amiss since our literacy rate is low. Is it that our schools are inadequately equipped, is it that we do not placed enough emphasis on learning, it is that our education system needs revamping?

I would like your suggestions about practical ways Jamaican teachers can address the problem of illiteracy. How does your country ensure that its literacy rate is not a world-wide embarrassment?

4 comments:

  1. Using Blogs as a Teaching Method in the Classroom.

    Blogging is quite a new and different way of networking and communicating with others. As an educator, the primary purpose for introducing blogs in the classroom would be as a platform for my students to improve on their writing and communication skills. As a learner, my English has improved over the years mainly because of more exposure to writing and from constant contact with people who are exemplary writers. Hence, I would use blogs a medium for my students to be exposed to various writing styles. Additionally, if students have the opportunity to be communicate with their peers through words, then not only will they develop a greater appreciation for each other's thoughts but they can learn from each other. Once students are adequately prepared to write in an open forum like blogs, then they will be more cautious about their grammar, spelling, among other important aspects of the writing process.
    By using blogs, students can also be given the opportunity to highlight their talent and creativity.

    Blogging can be used to enhance the lesson as students' feedback from comments will provide evidence for me to ascertain whether the goal is being achieved. Blogging can help students to learn the value of taking constructive criticisms and using them to enhance the quality of their work. Also, potential writers as well as those who like to rationalize can further develop their strenghts. "Blogs can be a powerful promoter of creative, intuitive, and associational thinking" (Eide Neurolearning Blog, 2005).

    Using blogs in a Grade 9 Language Arts lesson would be appropriate for addressing students' writing and communication skills. With the use of an online learning environment, my students can learn to reflect on the comments of others before posting comments, they can ask probing questions for clarification or to obtain new knowledge. My students can also apply ethical research skills during the process of information sharing. Furthermore, blogging can be a relax environment for students to write and post more than one reaction to several responses. I would definitly allot sufficient time for students to respond to tasks as I would like to cater to both slow and fast learners.

    Using blogs is also an effective tool as it can be accessed from any computer so students could upload their post that is convenient to them under favorable conditions. Blogs are the sophisticated journals that are trendy and not limited to gender or intellectual capabilities.

    Therefore, I would give my students time to enbrace this new mode of expressing their thoughts and expanding their ability to be exposed to the new information age within a technological atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to blogging so the post that is anonymous shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started travelling internationally last spring. I went to Japan over spring break and I was very impressed with what I saw of the school children. As I went to various museums and sites, I observed students working together in groups. They were very focused on their assignments. Their teaches did not seem to have a difficult time managing them.
    I don't see that anywhere with public school children in NY City.
    We have have access to so many resources and still most of our students seem less and less motivated. It is very frustrating and puzzling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you have been doing some travelling and that you had the opportunity to visit Japan. Most kids are disciplined, they really know how to collaborate with each other at all levels. Teachers rarely have problems disciplining students. I wish kids in other countries could adapt some of the mannerisms from Japanese system.

    ReplyDelete